Before I went to Julie Arkell’s workshop in France, I drew an illustration of two toddlers making snow angels. From that illustration, I made some “block-printed paper dolls” of the children. My goal was to experiment…to make stitches into the paper and add more media to them.
At the workshop I added fabric to some of the girls’ hats and made suffolk puffs (little fabric flowers) for the hats, stitched yarn into the girls’ coat collars, made pom-poms for the top of the baby’s snowsuit, and glued ribbon onto some of the coats.
Here’s the lot of paper dolls as of today. They are cut out and are fulyl clothed. Now all they need is a background. I knit mittens for most of the baby dolls, stitched seed beads into the girls’s jackets, added more of the same things I added during the workshop, and lastly, painted their faces with watercolors.